January 26, 2022 Minutes

Grap’s Wine Room/Zoom
7:30 PM


Nathan Schreier


Nathan Schreier, Angela Hastings, Kelsey Gronlund, Heather Pittman, Emma Tinsley, Becky Tinsley, Derek Olson


Correction to bank balance filed in shared drive minutes



I worked on updating the website with new information, old minutes and agendas and added several old shows to our archive. If anyone wants any specific changes or additions, please let me know.


I have contacted over half of the sponsorship list and will get through the rest in the next couple of weeks. I haven’t gotten any sponsors out of this batch, but have several that are interested. First payment from SD Arts Council has arrived- payments are requested every 60 days to cover expenses for that time frame. Next request will be in February. Kelsey has set up an account at SAMS.gov to apply for grants.


  • President
    • Not present this evening
  • Vice President
    • Did not meet with Angela and Derek due to illness. New meeting time will be set tonight. Not able to get an invoice for printing from the school district yet.
  • Secretary
    • Thanks to Toi Lyn for helping with getting documents ready for executive session this evening.
  • Treasurer
    • Current bank balance is $12,644.19. Received $1666.66 from SD Arts Council. No outstanding bills at this time. December deposit from Christmas show and sponsors: $5288.68. IRS forms have been updated/filed.
  • Creative Committee
    • Upcoming Season
      • We have announced part of our upcoming season. We are planning a night of more mature one acts in the Spring, directed by myself. We are also doing a children’s show directed by Rachel Johnson in early Summer and a main stage show directed by Nathan in the late summer. We have a CC meeting coming up next week and will get specific dates and shows picked.
    • Other Shows
      • We have discussed some other programming coming up. We are talking about some workshops, a virtual show around Halloween, dinner theater and a gala to wrap up the year.
    • A-Dickens-of-a-Christmas
      • The creative committee had an idea for next Christmas, one designed as a community celebration not just a community theatre experience.  The idea of A Dickens of a Christmas was presented to Miranda Gallagher at the Belle Fourche Chamber with the following list of possible activities:
        • Christmas crackers
        • Making Christmas cards
        • Table mats
        • Tree ornaments
        • Parlour games
        • Caroling
        • Making gifts
        • Various foods such as plum pudding, sugar plums and wassail punch
        • Festival of trees- prize for one most theme centered?
        • Christmas Bell- work in Victorian carols
        • Something every weekend leading up to show or something every night of the week of the show
        • Performance of A Christmas Carol
        • Ice skating with lanterns and hot cocoa
        • Victorian-style gingerbread houses or scenes from A Christmas Carol
      • Miranda advised that she and her committee had been trying to come up with a theme idea for Christmas and she really likes this one.  She put it before her committee and they like it as well.  Miranda sent an email advising that the idea has been approved by her committee and board and that maybe we can get both groups together and have one big planning session so we are all on the same page.
  • Public Relations
    • Met with BF Chamber, looked into adding our events to local radio calendars.
  • Membership Committee
    •  I still need to have a meeting with Derek, but I have a few ideas which include newsletters, member perks, creating a promotional video, advertising our memberships on our social medias/ expanding our social medias, member gala, seasonal meet-and-greets, business cards with our contact information and member prices, having a booth at Spearfish’s Festival in the Park, etc.
  • Grant & Fundraising Committee
    • Reaching out to sponsors with Derek. Drawing up thank you letters with information about tax information to send to sponsors.


  1. Derek’s contract- Need to review, sign, upload copy into shared drive, as well as send it to Arts Council for grant requirements- this has been completed for the previous year but will need to submit a new contract when signed.
  2. Review of compensation for hours spent as Executive Director conducted during executive session- this information was sent through Messenger. Motion by Becky/Angela/Heather to approve compensation offer discussed. Amount will be discussed with Derek at his review with Toi Lyn and Nathan.  
  3.  Update on storage unit for costumes to help alleviate the mess and make preparing for shows easier: The school district is building storage space for costumes at Middle School. ED will have access.  Potentially this will be done in the Spring 2022.


  1. Derek- Fiscal year for sponsors has been confusing because of October being the new year for BFACT. Proposal to move organization fiscal year to January-December. Becky will ask Jonathan to draft bylaw revision. Revision will be reviewed at the February meeting for further discussion and vote.


Wednesday, Feb 23, 2022 @ 7:30pm at Graps



Upcoming Shows & Events

Stay Up-To-Date

Sign-up for our email newsletters so you don't miss a thing!